Sunday, August 2, 2009

Ichiran Ramen opening soon!?


I have always been hearing rumors of a ramen restaurant from Japan opening up on Manhattan Ave in Greenpoint.  I never took the time to explore it for myself.

Yesterday, I was looking up cheap restaurants to go to for dinner and I came across a few review sites that mentioned this ramen place called Ichiran Ramen.

After doing some research, I found out that they are only opening up the restaurant to people who register and live within walking distance of the spot.  Below are some of the quotes that I found.

On Chowhound, hungry_united said "FYI, greenpointers: there's a new sign posted in front of the ramen shop (actually two -- one in japanese and the other in very cute poorly translated english) saying that the restaurant is due to open at an "indeterminate date" as "ichiran ltd. membership shop." they will ultimately be a regular restaurant, but they will first open for a small group of "members" who are invited to share their "severe opinion and frank comment" while the restaurant perfects its menu... there was a little box full of registration forms which you're invited to fill out and then leave in a little mailbox and the sign said that they would contact interested parties once they had decided on serving dates... it also said that membership would be for people who live within walking distance of the restaurant...
not sure what exactly any of this means, but i signed up and i'm excited to find out!"  

On Yelp, Hideki K. said "I've been trying to land a reservation here.  Based on my sources, you need to physically go to ramen shop to pick up a neighborhood membership application to have special privileges to dine there during this soft opening period at Ichiran." and Isabel L. said "Apparently they are still going through that " neighborhood members only" system. You basically need a Brooklyn address to become a member to enjoy the privilege of tasting their ramen. So I wrote down my home address ( not brooklyn) and added this :
* I work in this area and I walk by your store every day !* "

I also read on Eater, that " Grub Street notices that the highly anticipated Ichiran Ramen is getting closer to opening, a year and a half late. Right now, they're open for friends and family, kind of: "Now a sign has been posted indicating that it will open its doors, at first, as a 'limited membership shop' accessible only to 'those living in the distance which walks from this shop,' provided they fill out an application form." [GS]"

After reading all of this information, I decided to take a short walk and do some investigating myself.  I walked 3 blocks to Manhattan and Green (the restaurant is right next to Cafecito Bogota) and read some of the verbiage that they posted on their window.  I filled out a card with my name and address.  So we will see what comes of it.  I am really anxious to try this place because I love country Japanese food.  I will keep all of you in the loop when I get any more information.

1 comment:

  1. i'm curious if you ever heard back from them? i moved into the neighborhood a month ago and havent seen it look at all open until today.. there were two women inside setting up. they said that it would be open "soon" but its up to the "people in japan."

    ReplyDelete