Sunday, August 2, 2009

Last night's dinner: La Superior

All of the Cheap Eat articles seemed to come out this month and I couldn't escape reading about La Superior, a new, cheap,  street style Mexican restaurant in Williamsburg.  When I read any positive review, with the words cheap and Williamsburg in it, I have to try it out!

Yesterday, Femi, Jen, and I decided to give this place a try.  Since we just wanted tacos, I thought it would be a great place to go because Femi had to be to work in an hour.  I thought it was on 2nd and Berry, which is pretty close to the bar.  I guess there is no such thing and 2nd and Berry because we passed 4th St and then hit Metropolitan.  I was thought to myself, where did 2nd Street go?  Then we passed Grand St and I was getting worried that we weren't going to be able to get tacos because the walk was taking so long.  Finally, we realized it was on South 2nd.  We were already there so we decided to risk Femi being late to work.

This restaurant is very cute and is nicely decorated with pretty wallpaper and decorative napkin holders.  I like the bold red color of the walls.  I also especially enjoyed the music that was being played and was able to really do the "happy food dance" while I ate.  I also enjoyed that the staff seemed to be friends and enjoy working with each other.  They were laughing, goofin around, and having a good time.

We were sat and given menus immediately, contradicting what all you naysayers have been posting on menupages and the like.  We didn't get any bad service at all, in fact our order was taken and food was delivered in great time.  Femi was only 15 minutes late to work!

Jen and Femi were brave and decided to try the agua fresca without knowing what it was.  Femi got Watermelon and Jen got Pineapple.  These drinks are amazing!  I looked up the recipe on my phone and it is 3 cups of pureed fruit, a cup of water, and sugar and lime to taste.  The drink tastes like the fruit.  The watermelon agua fresca literally tasted like drinking a watermelon.  I especially like the foam at the top. 


Femi and I are on a budget these days, so this time we only ordered tacos.  The tacos here are $2.50 each and are served tapas style.  We got four each.  At first, you think wow these are small tacos but after eating them, the filling is so rich with flavor, that the size is perfect.  They are very satisfying.

We both got the Tinga de pollo, which is shredded chicken in a VERY SPICY chipotle tomato sauce.  The chicken is moist and the sauce is really hot but it is delicious.  I recommend if you order this one, you save it for last.  You wouldn't want to screw up your palate, because there is many more flavors to taste!


We also both got the Camaron al chipotle, which in our opinions was the best one.  This taco is also spicy but not as spicy as the chicken.  The shrimps are juicy and plump.  They also give you a decent amount of shrimps in a small taco.



In addition, I got the Pescado zarandeado.  I love me a fish taco and this one is up there with the best.  I like that the fish is not fried.  This taco has good, refreshing flavors.



I also got the Cochinita pibil, which is slow cooked pork in banana leaves.  When Jen saw this taco, she asked how I would be able to eat it.  Imagine a tortilla that is only 3 inches wide with a mound of pork on top.  If you folded this taco, the pork would fall out of the front and the back.  This taco took two hands and three napkins to eat.  It was delicious though and had a bbq/mesquite type of flavor.

Femi, got the Carne Asada (grilled skirt steak) and Carnitas (pork confit) tacos.  He said they were great but I didn't try them so I will have to take his word for it.

Both Jen and Femi said that they would come back again despite the distance from Greenpoint.  Femi actually said he wanted to come 4 times per month.  I agree, I will definitely come back again.  I want to try the quesadillas and entrees.  Last night, they had a squid cooked in ink special for $10.  I was tempted to try it but I wanted to stick the tacos this time.  Maybe next time I will try the squid if they have it.

It is really refreshing to find good food in Williamsburg.  Usually the restaurants are talked up and the food is subpar.  La Superior is indeed true to its name!  I will most definitely be back!

No comments:

Post a Comment