Monday, June 15, 2009

Legion: Fun Bar With Good Choices


So maybe I am biased towards Legion because my boyfriend works there but I really like this bar a lot! They have something for everyone: a good selection of tap, bottle, and can beers. They have a few beer and a shot specials for the recession-friendly. They also have an abundance of scotch and bourbons. They have a great outdoor space where there are frequent bbqs on Sunday afternoons.

I like the fact that this is a regular bar catered towards patrons of the beer and whiskey drinking type, but they actually give you a choice of wine that goes beyond "red or white?" Just to be clear, this is definitely not a wine bar. But they do carry 4 types of wines and 2 types of ports. They have: Protocolo White, Nathanson Creek Chardonnay, Trapiche Malbec, and Luzon Verde Monastrell. The ports that they serve are Sandeman Fine Ruby and Cockburns Special Reserve.



I had the pleasure of tasting both of the white wines last night. The Protocolo White is a Spanish vino that is made of 100% White Tempranillo grapes and comes from mainly the Rioja and Penedes regions. My first impression was the strong fruity smell and when I tasted it I got a light-medium body. It is more dry than sweet but still has fruit aromas. When I looked this up on my phone, I read that it is composed of strawberry, raspberry, black pepper hints, black cherry, mint, and earthy tones. I wasn't too too far off.

The Nathanson Creek Chardonnay is from California. When I first tried this i got fruity again with a light bodied and sweeter than the Protocolo, less dry. I looked it up and it says that this wine is smooth with apple flavors with oak notes. Again, I was close! I need to work on picking out the specific fruits though. That is my mission!

No comments:

Post a Comment