Saturday, June 20, 2009

My Birthday Dinner!


Wednesday, June 17, was my birthday.  So after work and after Spanish class, Femi took me to dinner.  We met in Union Square and walked to the West Village.  We walked through Washington Square Park  holding hands (how romantic hehe).  I hadn't seen it since the renovation.  I really love arches and fountains and that whole combination in parks.  It is so beautiful.  It makes me feel like I am in a different part of the world or something.  Then we ran into our friend Mikey and chatted for a bit.  We finally ended up at La Lanterna for what was about to be a great birthday feast.

I have been to La Lanterna twice before.  Once with some of my friends for drinks and apps.  We sat outside in the back and I was really impressed by the decor, trees, and greenery inside the restaurant.  Then the second time I went was with my friend Maiko and we sat downstairs.  Downstairs is really nice and romantic.  It is dim lit with candles and exposed brick/stone walls (can't remember).  The perfect place for a date and the food is really good and fresh too!



















When Femi and I got there, the downstairs was closed boo.  But we were able to sit outside which was nice too.  Our server was very attentive and knowledgeable as well.  We started off with the Caprese salad (buffalo mozzarella, tomatoes, basil, and bread.)  It was very good and very fresh.  The mozzarella melted in our mouths, it was very soft.  Not at all chewy like some mozzarella can be.



 






For drinks, I got a glass of Pinot Grigio and I am not sure what Femi got.  I am not a huge fan of Italian wine.  I don't know too much about it.  I do like Pinot Grigio though.  Its an easy wine to drink.













I ordered a panini with speck, mascarpone, and a splash of cognac.  I love this panini.  The saltiness of the speck and the sweetness and creaminess of the mascarpone goes hand in hand to me.  I got the panini on crostini bread.  It, to me, is one of the best paninis I have ever tasted.

Femi got pizza with tomato sauce, mozzarella, proscuitto, basil, and olive oil.  It was delicious!  Thin crust, fresh ingrediants, really nice pizza.










For dessert, I wanted to share one thing but Femi insisted that I get my own.  So I got tiramisu and Femi got raspberry cheesecake.  My tiramisu was really good.  I don't know a lot about it but on the menu it said it was their house specialty so I got it.  I love the whipped cream and cocoa powder the best.  Femis was great too.  La Laterna is definitely a dessert place.  We both got fancy drinks too.  I got a Nikki Coffee (because it is my name) which is coffee, baileys, and butterscotch schnapps with whipped cream.  Femi got a Irish Coffee which is coffee, Jameson, and whipped cream.  Mine was better!!!

































All in all a great birthday meal.  We did end up taking half of the panini and half of the pizza home with us to save room for such rich desserts cuz that's how we roll. 

No comments:

Post a Comment