Sunday, July 26, 2009

Bowling!!!


Femi and I met up with Maddy at Brooklyn Bowl last Wednesday. Maddy was running late, so Femi and I decided to check out the restaurant.  I was not impressed.  I will cut them some slack though because it had only been open for 2 nights.  



 
We shared the Cajun Shrimp Cocktail with Spicy Mayo which was $12.  The dish came out and I laughed.  The shrimps were super tiny.  I could have made this from the frozen shrimp they sell at C Town.  There was no cajun seasoning on the shrimp.  They were cooked and chilled.  They were served on a bed of lettuce.  The "spicy mayo" was mayo with some old bay and ground up chile pepper on top.  



I got the plate of Iceberg, Blue Cheese, and Bacon salad which was $8.  I also laughed when this came out.  It was a wedge of iceberg, blue cheese dressing all over it, and bacon bits.  There were some tomato slices on the side too.  The dressing was good because it wasn't strong like other blue cheese can be.  But seriously!? Bacon bits?  C'mon give me a thick, crispy slice of bacon or two?  And can't you chop the iceberg?  Again, I could have totally made this at home for half the price.  Not impressed.


Femi got the "Really" Sloppy Joe which was $8 bucks.  Finally, something worth the money!  This was a damn good sandwich.  The sloppy joe was sweet and spicy.  It came with a bed of lettuce (a choice of fries would have been nice, especially for Femi).  This is definitely what you should get if you come to eat at Brooklyn Bowl.  Don't even attempt to be healthy here.  Just go straight for the good stuff.  The other stuff is a waste of time


Now to the goods, the bowling!  $40 for an hour and 4 bucks for shoes.  Not bad.  You can have a max of 8 people to a lane and they knock $10 off during happy hour.  The lanes are great and they have all new technology.  The selection of balls was mediocre.  I couldn't find a small 8 lb ball anywhere but I found a medium and that worked out.

What is weird, is they have you pay for your bowling and shoes at the end, along with drinks and whatever you order.  I am used to paying for bowling and shoes in the beginning and then at the end settling whatever drinks/food I ordered.  I wonder if this is so they can get a bigger tip when drunk people don't notice the bowling and shoes and just tip on everything.  Hmmmm.

The drink menu is muy expensive!!!  They don't have a very good selection of beers.  It is all Brooklyn beer and other local brands.  The cheapest beer is 5 bucks.  They should have a beer and a shot special or a 3 dollar beer or something.  I had a Strawberry Maragarita which was yummy but was also $9 bucks and not much strawberry.


On a positive note, the atmostphere is COOL!  They have a huge stage for possible shows.  The place is ginourmous.  I think they should add in some pool tables somewhere as well.

My suggestion is come here for the bowling.  Skip the dinner and if you must eat go straight for the unhealthy snack foods.  I hope that they improve the menu and drink prices with time.

No comments:

Post a Comment