Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Last Night's Dinner: Five Leaves


I have to tell you.  I was really skeptical about dining at Five Leaves.  I knew it was Heath Ledger's restaurant and I know it was frequented by hipsters.  I heard that the service was really bad but the food was really good, so I thought I'd give it a go!

We went on Saturday around 5:30 pm.  I also heard it get's really crowded so we decided to go early.  It was pretty full.  We sat outside because the weather was nice and because they didn't have air conditioning.  I can't eat when I'm hot.  The inside is decorated really cool though.

Before we sat down, I noticed that a lot of people were eating hamburgers.  I thought it strange considering the menu on their website had a ton of options.  When we sat down and got the menu, it seemed that they drastically cut their menu, now offering only burgers for their main course.  Interesting...

No problem!  I didn't really want a burger anyway.  I came to try those oysters.  We started with the soup special which was a cream based soup with white beans and bacon.  It was simply delicious and seasoned just right.  I know it's crazy to get soup on a hot summer day.  It was Femi's choice!


Next, we got poached shrimp served chilled with a tomato horseradish cream.  The shrimp were okay.  They were fresh and were cooked fine except for one.  But the tomato horseradish cream!  Ohmigod!  Out of this world!  I couldn't get enough of this sauce! MMMMM!

We also got 1/2 dozen Blue Point oysters freshly shucked with two sauces, a rice wine mignonette and a red virgin mary sauce.  Both sauces were good and the oysters were amazing!  This was my first time eating an oyster and I am glad I did!  So fresh and delish!



Last, we got truffle fries which are fries fried in truffle oil.  They were really really good.  Crispy and delicious (especially dipped in that tomato horseradish cream.)

All in all, a very very enjoyable meal.  I would most definitely go back, even with the limited menu.

Of course, right when we were finishing it started downpouring.  But that's good...kept me from eating all of the fries!

No comments:

Post a Comment